I was recently commissioned to create a pop-up book for the “Wish ko Lang” program on GMA. Was touched upon hearing Daniel’s story, so I happily took on the challenge.
I’ve always been fascinated about pop-up books, I mean.. HOW DO THEY POP UP?? I honestly had no idea, so I set out to research and chanced upon this easy-enough-to-cram strategy on how to do it.
It’s kind of long, so if you don’t have time to watch the entire thing and just want to get on with the pop-up mechanism, here’s what you do:
- Fold your paper in half down the middle, fold it both ways, making the crease go both ways.
2. Measure an inch off the bottom and fold it both ways as well.
3. Fold along the middle and cut at a 45 degree angle to where the 2 folds intersect.
4. Open it up and now you have your pop up mechanism.
5. Place it on your main page. Stand the mechanism up perpendicular to the page, stick it on in a V-Shape
Top view looks like this
Test it out and pile on the details! Here was what I came up with for Daniel:
And watch the episode here: